The song submission to Melodifestivalen 2021 is open
MELODIFESTIVALEN 2021. Until September 16 at 11:59 PM, it is possible to send in songs to the Swedish Melodifestivalen 2021!
How it works
To submit song(s) to Melodifestivalen 2021, please go to SVT’s external platform. Firstly, you are needed to create a user account, which you then can use for all the song(s) you upload(s).
Before you start to submitting any songs, we recommend you to read the competition rules which includes information regarding the requirements SVT has for the songs, and all the songwriters (i.e. the lyricists and/or the composers). It is also wisely to take an extra look at the C-section (i.e. Other terms and conditions) since that section includes information about ownership and other requirements.
The last day to upload song(s) is September 16 at 11:59 PM, CEST.
If you have any questions regarding Melodifestivalen, please send these to the to the editorial staff at SVT on the following e-mail address: email@example.com
A summary of the Melodifestivalen rules
– The Melodifestivalen contest are open for anyone – including non-Swedish citizens – to take part both as song writers and as artist(s). However, at least one person in the song writing team must be a Swedish citizen and/or being registered in Sweden (no later than August 24, 2020). This rule does not apply if you want take part as an artist.
– If you are an employee at and/or a client for SVT between August 24, 2020 and March 30, 2021, then you are not allowed to send in songs and take part in the 2021 edition of Melodifestivalen!
– Only songs which has never been public to the public can take part in the 2021 edition of Melodifestivalen. This rule applies both analogue and digital platforms, such as concerts, social media platforms, radio- and TV stations etc.!
– Although all participating songs must be nor longer than 3 minutes (but not shorter than 2 minutes), SVT allows demo songs who break this rule. These songs must however be re-written for Melodifestivalen to fit the time limits.
– Singing and/or speaking in the lyrics is mandatory. However, how much is not said.
– You are free to sing in any language(s) as you want, and you can also upload the same song in different languages versions. However, if your song is selected to take part, it is SVT that decides which language version that will be used.
– To take part in the Melodifestivalen 2021 as an artist, you must be at least 16 years old (at the latest in May 2021). There is no maximum age limit.
– SVT will select the artists along with the song writer(s) for each song. Despite this, SVT have the final word in every artist decision. Demo artists can be selected to compete in the contest; however, they are not self-written for this purpose.
– In 2021, SVT still have expanded rules regarding the stage performances. This means that a maximum of eight (8) people are allowed on stage, which include the artist(s)/group, their eventual back-up live singers, and dancers. It is also allowed to use one (1) live instrument on stage. However, since the EBU does not accept these extra rules, the song must be re-arranged for Eurovision 2021 if it contains any of these additional elements.
– SVT still allows pre-recorded choirs in the songs. Since the EBU also will allow this in the Eurovision 2021 this is not needed to be removed from the song regardless if it is used or not in Melodifestivalen 2021 and/or Eurovision 2021.
– SVT is the owner to these rules, which means they have the rights to adjust them anytime and as much as they want. They also have the rights at any time disqualify songs, singers, lyricists, composers, and others, who in a conscious or unconscious way breaks the rules.
What will happen after September 16?
When the song submission has closed, SVT will listen to all the submitted songs and select the best ones. These songs will then get through to a national jury, which has the task to choose 14 songs that they think is the best hits for the competition. When the jury’s job is finished, the editorial staff at Melodifestivalen will select additional 14 songs, which includes to select a song to an invited wild card from the P4 Nästa 2020 contest.
According to the competition rules, SVT will reveal the selected songs to Melodifestivalen 2021 during October and November 2020. However, the official dates are still to be confirmed.